Red Wine Braised Endive
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 pound Belgian endives tough stems
- trimmed but intact and halved lengthwise
- 1/2 cup Spanish Rioja red wine
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup chopped toasted walnuts for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley for garnish
In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the endive halves, cut-side down and cook until golden brown, about 6 minutes. Turn and cook on the second side until golden, 3 to 4 minutes.
Add the wine and season with salt and pepper. Lower the heat and cover and simmer until the liquid is nearly all absorbed and the endive is tender, about 10 minutes. Garnish with walnuts and parsley.
This recipe yields 4 servings.