Portobello Mushroom-Blue Cheese Burgers With Lemon Aioli
- LEMON AIOLI:
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 4 large fresh portobello mushrooms wiped clean, and stems removed
- 4 thick Vidalia onion slices
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 6 ounces Gorgonzola thinly sliced
- 4 large whole-wheat hamburger buns (or large kaiser rolls)
- 1 bunch watercress rinsed, dried, stems removed
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, oil, garlic, and rosemary. Place the mushrooms in a large re-sealable plastic bag, or a baking dish, and cover with the marinade. Marinate for at least 1 hour and up to 2 hours.
Prepare the grill.
Remove the mushrooms from the marinade and pat dry. Season both sides with salt and pepper, and place gill sides-down on the grill. Cook for 5 minutes, then turn. Arrange the cheese and onion slices on the gills of each mushroom and continue to cook until tender, about 6 to 8 minutes. Open the rolls and lightly toast on the grill, insides down.
Place 1 grilled mushroom inside each bun and garnish each, to taste, with Lemon Aioli. Divide the watercress among the 4 buns and serve immediately.
Lemon Aioli: With the back of a knife, mince the garlic, then crush. Gradually work the salt into the crushed garlic to make a paste. Place in a bowl. Whisk the eggs and lemon juice with the garlic paste and incorporate. Add the cayenne. Slowly whisk in the oil, a little at a time, until all the oil is incorporated and the mixture emulsifies. Keep refrigerated until ready to use. Use within 24 hours. (Makes about 1 cup)
This recipe yields 4 servings.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (890 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.4/5 (897 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (741 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (498 Votes)
- Smothered Chicken with Mushrooms &... 4.5/5 (390 Votes)
- Apple Brie Tarts 4.5/5 (311 Votes)
- Samoa Brownies 4.5/5 (289 Votes)
- Creamy Shrimp & Mushroom Pasta 4.5/5 (263 Votes)