Paul's Sausage Meatballs With Red Gravy
- RED GRAVY:
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 cups chopped yellow onions
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 20 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons whole fennel seeds
- 2 cans tomato paste - (6 oz ea)
- 4 cans tomato sauce - (15 oz ea)
- 1 can whole tomatoes - (28 oz) pureed with
- their juice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons Emeril's Essence (see Bayou Blast recipe)
- SAUSAGE MEATBALLS:
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet Italian sausage casings removed
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage casings removed
- 10 garlic cloves minced
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 4 teaspoons Emeril's Essence
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 pound spaghetti cooked according
- to package directions
- 1 cup grated Parmesan garnish
In a large saucepan, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions, Italian seasoning, salt, and red pepper, and cook, stirring, until the onions are soft, 6 minutes. Add the garlic and fennel, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring frequently, until paste begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato sauce, pureed tomatoes, 2 1/2 cups of water, and Essence, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
In a large bowl, combine the ground chuck, sweet sausage, hot sausage, garlic, eggs, Essence, salt, and black pepper, and mix briefly but thoroughly to distribute seasonings. Shape into meatballs and set aside, refrigerated.
Add the meatballs to the sauce and do not stir until the meatballs float to the top of the sauce, about 10 to 12 minutes. Stir well, and simmer the meatballs in the sauce for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally and skimming any fat that rises to the surface. Taste, adjust seasoning as necessary, and serve immediately over hot pasta. Pass the grated Parmesan at the table.
This recipe yields 4 hearty servings, plus enough leftover meatballs and gravy for 4 meatball sandwiches the next day.