Parsnip Cakes With Smoked Trout, Apple, Horseradish Cream
- 2 pounds parsnips peeled, and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 cup dried bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons Emeril's Essence (see Bayou Blast recipe)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil - (to 1/2) for pan-frying
- 1 large egg beaten SMOKED TROUT, APPLE, HORSERADISH CREAM =
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup prepared horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons finely-chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon finely-chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 Gala apple cored, and finely chopped
- 8 ounces smoked trout bones and skin
- removed, and coarsely flaked
Place the parsnips in a pot, with enough water to cover by 1-inch. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 20 minutes.
Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher with the cream, butter, salt, and pepper. Let sit until cool enough to handle. Form into small cakes, about 3 inches in diameter and 1-inch high.
In a shallow bowl, combine the breadcrumbs with the Essence. Heat 1/4 cup of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Brush the cakes on both sides with the beaten egg and dip into the breadcrumbs. In batches, pan-fry the cakes in the hot oil until golden brown on both sides, adding more oil as needed.
Remove from the pan and serve immediately with the Smoked Trout, Apple And Horseradish Cream. (Makes 8 cakes)
Smoked Trout, Apple, And Horseradish Cream: In a small bowl, whisk the cream, horseradish, garlic, oil, and vinegar until well blended. Add the green onions, parsley, salt, and cayenne pepper, and mix well. Fold in the apple and trout, and adjust seasoning to taste. Serve on top of the Parsnip Cakes.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (890 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.4/5 (897 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (741 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (498 Votes)
- Famous Red Lobster Shrimp Scampi 4.5/5 (488 Votes)
- Samoa Brownies 4.5/5 (289 Votes)
- Frozen Banana Bites 4.5/5 (272 Votes)
- Creamy Shrimp & Mushroom Pasta 4.5/5 (263 Votes)