Lemon Ice Cream
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely-grated fresh lemon zest
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon limoncello (or other lemon-flavored liqueur or grappa)
In a medium, heavy saucepan, bring the cream, half-and-half, sugar, and zest to a boil, stirring occasionally until the sugar is melted. Remove from the heat.
In a medium bowl, beat the egg yolks until thick and pale, about 2 minutes. In a slow stream, whisking constantly, add about 1 cup of the hot cream mixture to the egg yolks. Beat until well incorporated.
Return the yolk mixture to the saucepan with the hot cream and bring to a bare simmer. Cook until a thick custard forms, and the mixture reaches 170 degrees on an instant-read thermometer, about 6 minutes.
Remove from the heat and strain through a fine-mesh strainer into a clean container. Stir in the lemon juice and limoncello, and cover with plastic wrap, pressing down against the custard to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate until well-chilled, about 2 hours.
Transfer to an ice-cream maker and process according to the manufacturer's instructions. Transfer to an airtight plastic container and freeze until ready to serve.
This recipe yields 1 quart.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (891 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.4/5 (905 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (742 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (499 Votes)
- Apple Brie Tarts 4.5/5 (311 Votes)
- Samoa Brownies 4.5/5 (289 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Orange Chicken 4.5/5 (231 Votes)
- Cilantro Lime Salad Dressing 4.5/5 (164 Votes)