- 2 1/2 pounds pork butt cut 1/2" pieces
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon freshly-ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (or marjoram)
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon red wine (or apple cider vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
Combine the pork, garlic, salt, paprika, white pepper, oregano, sugar, black pepper and red pepper in a large bowl and mix well. Pass through a food grinder fitted with a coarse die. (Alternately, transfer in 2 batches to a food processor and process until finely ground.) Transfer to a large bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight. Add the wine to the meat and stir well to combine.
To test the seasoning, heat the oil in a small skillet, and cook about 2 teaspoons of the mixture. Adjust seasoning, to taste.
Form the meat into patties.
Preheat a home smoker to 250 degrees. Smoke the sausage for 1 1/2 hours. Remove from the smoker and use as desired.
This recipe yields 2 pounds.