- Potato-Masa Dumplings Ingredients:
- 1 Tbsp. olive or vegetable oil
- 1 large white onion, peeled and diced
- 1 chayote, skin and core removed, then sliced into matchsticks
- 8 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 5-6 cups cooked pork carnitas
- 1-3 roasted serrano peppers (add to taste, instructions below)
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups potato-masa dumplings
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 6-8 cups fresh baby arugula
- lime wedges for garnish
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 1/2 cup masa harina
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp. salt
Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium high heat. Add the white onion and chayote, and saute for 5 minutes until cooked and the onion is translucent. Add garlic and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Add the chicken broth, carnitas, and serrano peppers (add one at a time to test out the level of heat) and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for at least 30 minutes.
Season generously with salt and pepper. Then ladle the soup into serving bowls, filling them about half full. Then add in a small handful of potato dumplings, avocados and fresh cilantro to each bowl. Then top each with a large handful of baby arugula. Serve with lime wedges for garnish.
To Make The Potato Dumplings:
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir together until blended. Use your hands to knead the mixture a few times until smooth. Then pinch off about 1/4 cup of the mixture and roll it into a long tube about 1/2-inch wide in diameter. Use a knife to slice the tube into small coins, about 1/8-inch wide. Repeat with remaining dough to make dumplings. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.