Hot and Sour Soup in Pressure Cooker
Prepared in Cuisinart electric pressure cooker. This an adaption of a Cook's Illustrated recipe that uses stovetop preparation. All hot and sour components should be adjusted to individual's taste. To save time you may be able to find already julienned bamboo shoots in Chinese or International markets.
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 10 ounces extra firm tofu drained
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 1/2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 8 ounces thin sliced boneless pork chop trimmed and cut into 1 x 1/8 inch strips
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon cold water
- 1 large egg
- 1 5 ounce can sliced water chestnuts drained and halved
- 1 5 ounce can sliced bamboo shoots drained and julienned
- 1 15 ounce can broken straw mushrooms drained and rinsed
- dried chile peppers to taste
- 5 tablespoons Chinese black vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chili oil
- 1 teaspoon white pepper (or to taste)
- 1-2 tablespoons rice vinegar and/or sherry vinegar
1. Place tofu in paper towel lined pie pan, top with plate and weight down with heavy cans (2 28 oz tomato cans). Let drain for about 15 minutes.
2. Whisk 1 tablespoon soy sauce, sesame oil, and 1 teaspoon cornstarch in medium bowl. Add pork, toss to coat, and let stand 10 to 30 minutes.
3. Combine 3 tablespoons cornstarch with 3 tablespoons water in small bowl, set aside. Combine remaining 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch with remaining 1 teaspoon water in small bowl. Add egg and beat with fork until combined.
4. Heat pressure cooker on browning setting. When heated add pork and cook until it just loses pink color.
5. Add water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, mushrooms, dried chiles and stir.
6. Add broth, 3 tablespoons soy sauce, 3 tablespoons black vinegar, 1 teaspoon chile oil.
7. Set pressure cooker to high pressure setting and timer for 7 minutes. Lock lid and once time has expired perform fast release of pressure.
8. While soup is cooking dice tofu into 1/4 inch cubes.
9. Once pressure has released remove lid and set pressure cooker to simmer. Add 2 tablespoons black vinegar, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 teaspoon chili oil, rice/sherry vinegar, white pepper, corn starch mixture, and stir. Add tofu and let soup come to a simmer.
10. Using spoon or chopstick stir soup while drizzling egg mixture in to create ribbons.