- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1-1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 shallots, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1-1/2 cups risotto rice, either Arborio or Carnaroli rice
- 2 pints chicken broth (stock)
- 1 cup shelled fresh green peas
- 1 cup fresh string beans, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1 bunch asparagus, thinly sliced on bias
- 1 cup shredded fresh escarole
- 1/4 cup basil puree (blend 1 cup fresh basil with 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, season with salt and pepper to taste)
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
Heat olive oil and half of butter in a heavy based saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic, and gently sweat until shallots are transparent. Add rice and stir until rice is well coated with oil.
Reduce heat to low, add 1 cup (8 fluid ounces) of the chicken broth that has been brought to a boil and stir briefly. Allow risotto to cook and the chicken broth to be almost completely absorbed by the rice before adding another cup, then stir again. Continue adding stock and cooking in this way, stirring frequently, until rice is almost cooked, about 20 minutes.
Add peas, string beans, asparagus and escarole to risotto and continue adding stock and cooking until rice is tender and creamy. Stir in grated Ricotta Salata, remaining butter and 4 generous tablespoons of basil puree.
To serve, spoon rice into wide shallow bowls and top with more shaved or grated Ricotta Salata.