Rhubarb Upside Down Cake
There are three elements to this coffee cake-- a layer of caramelized rhubarb, a moist and tender cake and a layer of streusel. When the cake is inverted, the streusel becomes the crust. To see how I made this cake, please click on the resource link to my food blog, "A Feast for the Eyes". Recipe from Martha Stewart Bakes
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Coarse salt
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for buttering pan
- 1 pound rhubarb, trimmed and cut on a very sharp diagonal about 1/2-inch thick
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest plus 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice (I used lemon zest and lemon juice)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 80mins
Adapted from afeastfortheeyes.net
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Stir together butter, flour, sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt until moist and crumbly.
Butter a 9-inch round cake pan (3-inches deep). Dot with 4 tablespoons butter (cut into pieces).
Toss rhubarb with 3/4 cup sugar; let stand for 2 minutes. Toss again, and spread in pan.
Whisk together flour, baking powder, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt.
Beat remaining stick butter and cup sugar with a mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy.
Beat in zest and juice.
Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, until incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl.
Beat in flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with sour cream, until smooth.
Spread evenly over rhubarb. Crumble topping evenly over batter.
Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and top springs back when touched, about 1 hour.
Let cool for 10 minutes. Run a knife around edge of cake, and invert onto a wire rack. Let cool completely.
Let the cake cool for 10 minutes before removing it from the pan. The rhubarb will be too hot to handle safely right after baking. But if the cake sits much longer, it may stick.
You'll also love
- LIGHTER EGGPLANT PARMESAN 4.7/5 (13 Votes)
- Sweet and Spicy Crab Cakes 4.7/5 (13 Votes)
- Red Potato Salad 4.7/5 (13 Votes)
- Irish Nachos with Guacamole 4.7/5 (13 Votes)
- Lima Bean and Dumpling Soup 4.5/5 (14 Votes)
- Layered Peppermint Bark 4.7/5 (15 Votes)
- Carrot Cake for Two 4.8/5 (9 Votes)
- Rhubarb Cheesecake 4.7/5 (10 Votes)