Rhubarb And Apple Pie With Walnut Crumb Topping II
- BASIC SWEET PIECRUST:
- Basic Sweet Piecrust (see below)
- 2 pounds fresh rhubarb trimmed, and cut into 1"-thk pieces
- 2 pounds Macintosh apples - (6 to 8 apples) cored, peeled, and each cut 12 equal slices
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar - (packed)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons apple, cherry, or grape brandy
- 1 cup bleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter cut 1/2" pieces, and chilled
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch freshly-grated nutmeg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 6 tablespoons ice cold water - (to 7)
Preheat the oven to 370 degrees.
Remove the dough from the refrigerator and place it on a lightly floured surface. Roll out the dough on the floured surface into an 11-inch round about 1/8-inch thick. Transfer the dough to a 9-inch pie pan. Trim off any overhanging dough to make a 1/2-inch wide overhang around the edge of the pan. Flute the edges of the dough with your fingertips.
In a large bowl, mix the rhubarb, apples, sugar, 1/2 cup of the brown sugar, the cornstarch, lemon juice, and brandy, and toss to coat the fruit evenly. Pour the mixture into the piecrust.
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, walnuts, remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar, butter, cinnamon and nutmeg and mix well with your fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle evenly over the filling.
Bake until the top is golden brown and the juices are bubbling, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for at least 15 minutes before serving.
Basic Sweet Piecrust: In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt. Mix well. Add the shortening and mix until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the water and let sit 1 minute. Using either a fork or your hands, carefully press the mixture together to form a soft ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
This recipe yields 8 to 10 servings.
You'll also love
- Rabbit And Wild Mushroom Terrine... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Portuguese Influenced Scrambled... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Ontario Lamb Loin With Saskatoon... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Nutty Peach Freeze 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Baked Onions With Rice, Apple, And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp With... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Stewed Rhubarb 0/5 (0 Votes)