Shrimp and Corn Chowder
- 4 ounce(s) sliced bacon
- 2 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1/2 pound(s) Yukon gold potatoes (peeled, if desired), cut into 1/2-in. pieces
- 1 cup(s) dry white wine
- 2 stalk(s) celery, thinly sliced
- 1 cup(s) corn kernels (cut fresh from 1 ear or frozen and thawed)
- 3/4 pound(s) medium peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1/2 cup(s) heavy cream
- 1/4 cup(s) fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Crusty bread, for serving
Cook the bacon in a large saucepan over medium heat until crisp, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel--lined plate; break into pieces when cool.
Wipe out the saucepan and heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
Add the potatoes, wine and 2 1/2 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes are just tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Stir in the celery, corn, shrimp and cream, and simmer until the shrimp are opaque throughout, 3 to 4 minutes. Top with the bacon and parsley. Serve with the bread, if desired.