Slow Cooker Carnitas
There are many ways to cook pork, but carnitas are one of the best. Slow cooked shredded shoulder with chiles, salsa, and beer, then broiled crispy.
- 5 pounds pork shoulder
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon chipotle hot sauce (optional)
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 12 ounces beer
- 1/2 cup salsa (I like to use a less chunky one)
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 480mins
Place the pork shoulder in the slow cooker. Roughly chop the garlic and place in the slow cooker, rubbing it onto the meat, if desired, for extra flavor.
Sprinkle the meat with salt, cumin, chili powder, black pepper, oregano, cinnamon, and cayenne. Rub seasonings onto the pork.
Add lime juice, orange juice, beer, and salsa. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
Shred meat with two forks directly in the slow cooker (or take out, shred, and replace in sauce). It should fall apart easily.
Preheat broiler. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place the shredded meat on the cooking sheet and pour a few spoonfuls of sauce over the top. Broil for 5-10 minutes or until you get browned edges on the pork.
You'll also love
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.4/5 (902 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (741 Votes)
- Jalapeno Popper Spread 4.5/5 (685 Votes)
- Butternut Squash, Ricotta &... 4.5/5 (494 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (498 Votes)
- Crock Pot Ravioli Casserole 4.5/5 (475 Votes)
- Tuscan Garlic Chicken 4.5/5 (440 Votes)
- Kool-Aid Ice Cubes in Sprite 4.5/5 (234 Votes)