Mixed Baby Greens With Fig Vinaigrette
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 pound fresh figs stemmed, peeled, and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 6 cups mixed baby greens washed, spun dry
- 2 very ripe tomatoes sliced
- 3 ounces myzithra (hard sheep's milk cheese) cut very thin
- curls or slices (or use dry jack cheese)
In an 8-inch non-stick skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the figs, and cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is evaporated, 4 to 5 minutes.
Transfer the mixture to a blender, and add the honey, balsamic and champagne vinegars, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Blend on high speed for 30 seconds. With the machine running, slowly add the oil, and blend until completely incorporated. Cool completely before serving.
In a large bowl, combine the baby greens and tomatoes. Toss with 1/4 cup of the vinaigrette, and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Adjust the seasoning, to taste. Divide the salad evenly between 4 plates, being sure that each has 4 tomato slices, and top with the cheese slices.
This recipe yields 4 servings.