- Yields: 12
- FOR THE DOUGH
- 11-1/4 oz all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbs granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 6 oz (3/4 cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into 12 pieces
- 6 oz cold cream cheese, cut into 6 pieces
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- FOR THE FILLING
- 6 oz (1-1/4 cups) blackberries, halved
- 1 large Pink Lady apple, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 Tbs all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- FOR ASSEMBLY
- 1 large egg yolk
- Granulated sugar
Adapted from keyingredient.com
Make the dough
Put the flour, sugar, and salt in a food processor. Add the butter and cream cheese and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal, 8 to 10 pulses. Add the cream and pulse, pausing to scrape the bowl once or twice, just until the dough starts to come together, 8 to 10 pulses more. Do not over-process. Turn the dough out onto a clean work surface, gather it together, and pat it into a rectangle. Wrap it in plastic and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 3 days.
When ready to bake, position racks in the bottom and top thirds of the oven and heat the oven to 400 degrees. Line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment.
On a lightly floured surface with a lightly floured rolling pin, roll the dough into a 13x18 inch rectangle. Be sure to loosen the dough several times and reflour underneath so it doesn't stick. Trim the edges straight to form a 12x16 inch rectangle and cut the dough into twelve 4-inch squares. Put six squares on each baking sheet.
Make the Filling
In a medium bowl, lightly toss the blackberries, apple, brown sugar, flour, allspice, and salt until combined.
Assemble and bake the turnovers
In a small bowl, beat the egg yolk with 1 tsp water. Brush the outer edges of each dough square with egg wash. Spoon 2 rounded Tbs of the filling into the center of each square.
Bring the points together into a triangular shape, pressing to seal the edges. Lightly brush the top of each turnover with egg wash and sprinkle with a scant 1/2 tsp granulated sugar. With the top of a paring knife, cut a steam vent in the center of the top crust of each turnover.
Bake until the turnovers are browned and the filling is bubbling, 25 to 30 minutes, swapping and rotating the baking sheets' positions about halfway through baking (Don't worry if juice leaks out.)
Transfer the baking sheets to racks and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Then loosen the turnovers with an offset spatula and cool completely on the sheets. The turnovers are best the day they're made.
Pastry Pointer: Cup a dough square in one hand to create a triangular pocket. Fill the dough with your other hand, pull the corners up to form a triangular pocket. Fill the dough with the other hand, pull the corners up to form a triangle, and pinch to seal.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (886 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.4/5 (889 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (741 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (497 Votes)
- Samoa Brownies 4.5/5 (288 Votes)
- Frozen Banana Bites 4.5/5 (272 Votes)
- Strawberry Coconut Chia Seed... 4.5/5 (210 Votes)
- Raspberry Beignets with Vanilla... 4.6/5 (187 Votes)