Green Enchilada Sauce
Cafe Rio Style... by Our Best Bites
- 2-3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, minced
- 5-6 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 1-2 jalapenos, seeded and membranes removed if desired (and I desire. Always.)
- 1 1/2 lb. tomatillos, husked and quartered or halved
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 4 c. chicken broth
- 2-3 Tbsp. sugar
In a large saucepan or stock pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Saute onions and garlic until tender and fragrant.
While onions are sauteeing, combine tomatillos, green peppers, jalapeno peppers, and cilantro in your blender. Process until smooth; you may have to do it in batches and/or add some chicken broth to make things blendable.
Pour the tomatillo mixture over the onions and garlic and add chicken broth, salt, pepper, and cumin. Simmer 15 minutes-1 hour, depending on the consistency you want. I usually turn the heat to high and boil it uncovered until I reach the consistency I want; it makes things go a lot faster. The sauce can also be simmered in a slow cooker all day.