Pineapple-Applesauce Upside-Down Cake
- 1 tbsp. light whipped butter or light buttery spread (like Brummel & Brown)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (not packed)
- Half of an 18.25-oz. box (about 1 1/2 cups) moist-style yellow cake mix
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 cup club soda
- 1/4 cup no-sugar-added applesauce
- 7 pineapple rings packed in juice, drained
- 7 maraschino cherries
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9" round cake pan with nonstick spray (butter flavored, if available) and set aside.
To make the glaze, put butter in a small microwave-safe bowl and microwave for about 15 seconds, until just melted. Add brown sugar and mix well. Set aside.
To make the cake, combine cake mix with baking powder in a large bowl. Mix well. Add club soda and applesauce, and stir until smooth. Set aside.
Spread glaze evenly along the bottom of the cake pan. Blot pineapple rings and cherries with paper towels to remove any excess moisture. Lay pineapple rings in an even layer in the cake pan, and place one cherry in the center of each pineapple ring.
Evenly pour cake batter into the cake pan over the fruit layer. Bake in the oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 30 - 35 minutes.
Allow cake to cool for 15 - 20 minutes, until just slightly warm. Firmly and securely place a large plate over the pan, and carefully flip so the plate is on the bottom. Gently lift the pan to release the cake. If you have trouble releasing it, pop it back in the warm oven for a few minutes.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (890 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.4/5 (897 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (741 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (498 Votes)
- Samoa Brownies 4.5/5 (289 Votes)
- Frozen Banana Bites 4.5/5 (272 Votes)
- Pineapple Mango Rum Cocktail 4.5/5 (145 Votes)
- Pineapple Chicken Salad Lettuce... 4.6/5 (101 Votes)