Standard Pie Dough
- 2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon(s) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon(s) kosher salt
- 6 tablespoon(s) (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 6 tablespoon(s) vegetable shortening, chilled, cut into small pieces
- 4 tablespoon(s) (or up to 8 tablespoons) ice water
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, and salt. Using your fingers or a pastry cutter, work the butter and shortening into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle with 4 tablespoons ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough is crumbly but holds together when squeezed (if necessary, add additional ice water, 1 teaspoon at a time).
Divide the dough in half. Transfer each piece to a piece of plastic wrap and shape into a 1-inch-thick disk. Wrap tightly and refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour and up to 2 days.