Sauteed Kale and Garlicky Bread Crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) crushed red pepper
- 2 anchovy fillets, optional
- 5 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1/2 cup(s) panko bread crumbs
- 2 clove(s) garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon(s) fresh lemon juice
- 1 bunch(es) (about 1 1/2 pounds) kale, thick stems discarded and leaves torn into 2-inch pieces
- Kosher salt
Heat the crushed red pepper, anchovy (if using), and 3 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat, mashing the anchovy with the back of a spoon until the anchovy dissolves and the red pepper begins to sizzle, about 3 minutes.
Increase the heat to medium. Add the panko and cook, stirring often, until deep golden brown, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until the garlic is tender and the bread crumbs are crisp, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and sprinkle with the lemon juice; transfer to a plate.
Wipe out the skillet and heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add half the kale, season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and toss to coat, then add remaining kale, tossing to coat. Add 1/3 cup water and cook, covered, for 3 minutes. Uncover and cook, tossing occasionally, until the liquid has evaporated and the kale is just tender, about 3 minutes more. Transfer to a serving platter and sprinkle with the bread crumbs.