Inside Out Roast Beef Tenderloin
- 2 pound beef tenderloin , center-cut, silver skin removed and tied at even intervals (see illustration below)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1. Let the tenderloin sit at room temperature, covered, for 1 hour before roasting.
2. Adjust an oven rack to the upper-middle position and heat the oven to 425 degrees. Pat the tenderloin dry with paper towels, then season with salt and pepper.
3. Heat the oil in an ovenproof 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until smoking. Brown the tenderloin on all sides, reducing the heat if the fat begins to smoke, about 10 minutes. Transfer the skillet to the oven and roast the tenderloin until the center registers 125 degrees on an instant-read thermometer, 20 to 25 minutes, flipping it over halfway through the roasting time.
4. Remove the tenderloin from the oven and transfer to a carving board. Cover with foil and let rest for 15 to 20 minutes before slicing into 1/4-inch-thick pieces.