Baked Onions With Rice, Apple, And Nut Stuffing
Rice stuffing is used to fill baked onions for a flavorful side dish any time of year. Easy to serve when you are entertaining a crowd, each person gets their own baked onions filled with a rice, apple and nut stuffing.
- 6 large red onions
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup diced apples
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (6-ounce) package wild rice, cooked according to package directions
- 1/2 cup lightly toasted walnuts
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- 2 tablepoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup grated dry jack or white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chicken stock, can use vegetable stock
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 90mins
Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and set aside.
Peel the onions. Trim the stem ends so they will stand upright and remove the top 1/2 inch. Rub oil on each onion and season lightly with salt and pepper. Place in a baking dish, and bake, root-ends down, until golden brown and just tender, about 45 minutes to 1 hour (depending upon the size). Remove from the oven and let rest until cool enough to handle.
When cool enough to handle, push out the centers, leaving a shell. Return one piece of the removed onion to each to form a bottom and chop the remaining onion centers to measure 1 cup.
In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the 1 cup of chopped onion and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the garlic, apples, salt, and pepper, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the cooked rice, walnuts, sage, and parsley, and stir well. Add 1/4 cup of the cheese and stir well.
Stuff the onions with the rice mixture and place in a baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup cheese over the tops of the onions, and add stock to come 1/2 inch up the sides of the onions. Bake until tender and bubbly, about 20 to 30 minutes, basting occasionally. Serve immediately.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (890 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.4/5 (897 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (741 Votes)
- Jalapeno Popper Spread 4.5/5 (685 Votes)
- Butternut Squash, Ricotta &... 4.5/5 (494 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (498 Votes)
- Snickerdoodle Bread 4.5/5 (452 Votes)
- Impossible Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes 4.5/5 (405 Votes)