Tortellini Or Ravioli In Sweet Potato Sauce
- SWEET POTATO SAUCE:
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups diced sweet potato - (to 2 1/2)
- 1 cup low-fat milk, rice milk, or soymilk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound spinach or tri-color cheese tortellini or 1 small cheese ravioli (or try vegetable or tofu-filled tortellini or
- Minced fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan. Add the onion and garlic and sauté over medium-low heat until golden. Add the diced sweet potato and just enough water to cover. Bring to a simmer, then cover and simmer gently until the sweet potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
Transfer the mixture from the saucepan, including the liquid, to a food processor. Add the remaining sauce ingredients and process until smoothly pureed. Transfer back to the saucepan and set aside, covered, off the heat.
Cook the tortellini in plenty of rapidly simmering water until al dente. Drain, then stir them into the sweet potato sauce. Heat gently and briefly, just until well heated through.
Serve, garnishing each serving with some parsley, if desired.
This recipe yields 4 servings.