Portuguese Chicken with Chorizo and Clams
- 2 red peppers, halved and seeded
- 4 chicken legs (thighs and drumsticks)
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 pound/450g chorizo, sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 Yukon gold potatoes, diced
- 1 medium-size onion, halved and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 15 to 20 clams
- 2 kale leaves, chopped with stems julienned
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives, for garnish
- Olive oil, for drizzling and garnish
- Serving suggestion: Crusty Portuguese bread.
Heat the oven to broil and place the red peppers, skin-side up on a baking sheet for approximately 10 minutes or until all the skin is blackened.
Remove the red peppers from the oven and place them in an airtight container or bowl covered in plastic wrap to sweat and cool for 5 minutes. Cook's Note: The skin will then be easy to peel off.
Reduce the heat of the oven to 350 degrees F.
Meanwhile, place the chicken in a bowl and add the smoked paprika, paprika, chorizo, salt, pepper and mix well.
In a pan, heat the canola oil on high heat. Add the chicken and fry until crispy on all sides, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the chorizo and do the same for another 2 minutes. Add the potatoes and onions and stir. Slice the skinless, roasted red peppers into long strips and add to the pan, along with all the juices. Place the smashed garlic on top of the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Put the pan in the oven for approximately 25 minutes, or until the chicken is fork tender. Remove from oven. Add the clams and kale. Cook for another 10 minutes.
Remove and plate, garnishing with fresh parsley, chives, a drizzle of olive oil and some crusty (Portuguese) bread on the side.
Cook's Note: Chorizo can be replaced by bacon cut in pieces. Kale can be replaced by baby spinach