Whiskey-Braised Apple Sauce
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger - (abt a 2" piece)
- 6 Granny Smith apples peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup bourbon
- 1/4 pound butter (optional)
In a saucepan, melt butter and saute ginger for 1 minute. Add apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and bourbon. Simmer uncovered until apples are very tender, about 45 minutes.
Puree in a blender until "apple butter" consistency. To kick it up a notch: whisk in 1/4 pound of butter after pureeing applesauce.
This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.