Diabetic friendly strawberry shortcake
- 1 3/4 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup all-purpose (plain) flour
- 2 1/2 tsp low-sodium baking powder
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup trans-free margarine
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 6 cups fresh strawberries
- 3/4 cup lain fat-free yogurt
Sift both flours, baking powder and sugar together. Cut chilled margarine into dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add milk. Stir until moist dough forms.
Turn dough onto floured work surface and sift floured hands, knead gently 6-8 times until smooth. Roll into a 1/4 inch thick rectangle. Cut into 8 squares. Bake to 350F until golden, 10 to 12 minutes. allow cake to cool.
Place cake onto individual plates, top with strawberries and yogurt.