Soft-Shelled Crab Hand Roll
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Creole mustard
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 4 sheets toasted seaweed (yakinori)
- Tempura-Fried Soft-shell Crabs (see recipe), cut 8 pieces, 1/2 avocado sliced lengthwise
- 1/2 cucumber peeled, seeded, and sliced into thin batons
- Mitsukos Perfect Sushi Rice (see recipe) (at least 3 cups cooked rice)
- 2 tablespoons finely-sliced scallions
- 1/2 cup baby cress
In a small bowl combine the mayonnaise, mustard, soy sauce, lemon juice, and horseradish and stir to combine well. Set aside.
Hold one sheet of seaweed in your hand and with the other hand (fingers should be damp) scoop a small handful of rice and press onto seaweed, leaving 2 of the diagonal corners free of rice (these will be the top and bottom of the handroll). Lay 2 pieces of soft-shell crab, several slices of avocado, and some of the cucumber on top of the rice, and sprinkle with scallions and baby cress. Carefully begin rolling the roll, ice cream cone-fashion. If the roll does not stay closed on its own, you can either wet one edge or place a few stray pieces of rice to act as a "glue". Serve immediately, with some of the sauce spooned over the top. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
This recipe yields 4 hand-rolls.