Mushroom Barley Soup (with chicken)
- 3/4 cup pearl barley
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onions, diced
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 4 large carrot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 1 lb mushrooms (crimini or botton), sliced
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 or 2 cups cooked chicken (if disired)
Cooking time 50mins
Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add mushrooms, carrots, garlic, thyme, salt, pepper and cook stirring occasionally or until carrots are tender (8 or 10 minutes). Add broth, barley, cooked chicken and simmer, partially covered, until barley is tender (30-35 min).
You might want to add more broth after the barley has cooked depending how thick or thin you would like your soup. You could also add a dfferent protein choice or just leave it vegetarian too.
Serve in bowls with parley, if desired.