Lemon Curd Tart With Fresh Blueberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter cut 1/2" pieces
- 1 tablespoon finely-grated fresh lemon zest
- 3 large eggs beaten
- 1 prepared 8" tart shell blind-baked
- 1 pint fresh blueberries rinsed, stemmed
- 1 cup sweetened whipped cream (optional) accompaniment
In the top of a double boiler over simmering water, cook the sugar, lemon juice, butter, zest, and eggs, whisking frequently, until a custard forms and bubbles appear on surface, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and strain through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl.
Spoon the lemon curd into the prepared tart shell, smoothing the top with the back of a spoon or rubber spatula. Arrange the berries in a decorative pattern over the top, and serve with whipped cream on the side, if desired.
This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.