Kicked Up Pasta Rags With Vodka Sauce
- 1/4 pound bacon cut 1/2" pieces
- 2 cups finely-chopped yellow onions
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 can crushed tomatoes - (14 oz)
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen green peas
- 1 cup vodka
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup chopped basil
- 4 sheets fresh pasta - (abt 1 lb) torn into rags
- abt 3" by 1" each
- Grated Parmesan (optional), for serving
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
In a skillet, cook the bacon over medium-high heat until the fat is rendered and just beginning to brown, about 4 minutes. Add the onions and crushed red pepper and saute until soft and slightly caramelized, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and stir well to combine. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring. Add the vodka and cook until slightly reduced, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the peas and cream, and cook, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the basil.
Cook the pasta in the boiling water until just al dente, about 2 minutes. Drain in a colander. Add to the pasta sauce, and toss to combine. Serve immediately with grated Parmesan, if desired.
This recipe yields 4 servings.