Bacon Cheddar Jalapeño Corn Dogs
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 8 hot dogs
- 8 bacon strips, cooked and chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 jalapeños, chopped
- 1/2 cup flour, for dredging
- vegetable oil for frying
- For the sweet and spicy mustard sauce
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 3 tablespoons spicy brown mustard (or Dijon)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 to 2 teaspoons sriracha
Adapted from thecandidappetite.com
1.Heat vegetable oil (about 4 inches) in a large pot, over medium-high heat.
2.In a large bowl whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Pour in the buttermilk and lightly beaten eggs. Mix until evenly combined and smooth. Fold in the cooked crumbled bacon, shredded cheese, and chopped jalapeños. Pour into a tall drinking glass.
3.Skewer the hot dogs with a thin popsicle stick. Dredge the skewered hot dogs in flour and dust to shake excess. Dip the floured hot dogs into the glass filled with the corn batter. Lift and dunk again to fully coat.
4.Carefully lay the coated corn dog into the hot oil. Cook about two at a time so you don't overcrowd the pot. Fry until golden brown all around, about 4 to 6 minutes, turning halfway. Drain excess oil with a slotted spoon or a pair of thongs. Place on a plate lined with paper towels to catch grease. Transfer to a wire rack placed over a baking sheet. Continue frying until all the corn dogs are cooked. Place the baking sheet in the oven to rewarm and get them crispy before eating.
5.To make the sauce: Whisk everything together in a small bowl. Serve with the hot corn dogs. The corn dogs, once fried, can be frozen. Lay them out on a baking sheet and place in the freezer until completely frozen. Transfer to a freezer storage bag or freezer-safe airtight container. Reheat them in a 350° oven for about 10 minutes. Enjoy!
You'll also love
- Linguine with Lemon Cream and... 4.4/5 (15 Votes)
- Hot Oatmeal w/ Vanilla & Apples 4.4/5 (15 Votes)
- Pumpkin Bread 4.4/5 (15 Votes)
- Potato Salad 4.4/5 (15 Votes)
- Ojibwe bizhikiwi-wiiyaas... 4.4/5 (19 Votes)
- BBQ Pork Recipe (Char Siu/Char... 4.4/5 (15 Votes)
- Cucumber, Black Bean, Avocado,... 4/5 (20 Votes)
- Ranch Green Beans & Potatoes w/... 4.5/5 (8 Votes)