Very Strawberry Shortcake
Unlike the familiar little sponge cake, this is just a sweet tender biscuit filled with fresh strawberries that are laced with a splash of balsamic vinegar.
Prep Time: 15 Minutes Cook Time: 15 Minutes Total Time: 1 Hour 15 Minutes
- Strawberry Filling
- 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups reduced-fat biscuit mix
- 1/3 cup SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
- 1 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup fat-free frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 12 sprigs mint sprigs
1.Strawberry Filling Directions: Stir together strawberries, 2 tablespoons SPLENDA® Granulated Sweetener and balsamic vinegar; let stand 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
2.Shortcake Directions: Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
3.Combine biscuit mix and 1/3 cup SPLENDA® Granulated Sweetener in a large bowl.
4.Stir together yogurt and vanilla; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
5.Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead 3 or 4 times. Pat dough to a 1/2-inch thickness. Cut with a 2 1/4-inch round cutter, reusing dough scraps, if necessary. Place shortcakes on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 12 to 15 minutes. Serve warm with sliced strawberries. Garnish, if desired.