SPICY CARIBBEAN CRAB CAKES
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot,peeled and chopped
- 1 med.red pepper,finely diced
- 1 med.yellow pepper,finaly diced
- 1 lg.jalapeno pepper,or red finger pepper,chopped and seeds removed.
- 1 small red onion,peeled and finaly diced
- 3/4 inch ginger,peeled and finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic,chopped
- 1 lb cooked lump rock crab or snow crab meat
- 4 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 eggs,lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 cup finaly diced ripe mango
- hot sauce(tabasco)salt and pepper,to taste
- 2 cups+1/2 cup panko bread crombs,or regular bread crumbs
Warm the oil in large skillet over medium heat.Add the shallot,pepper,hot pepper,red onion,and ginger.Sweat for 5 min.Add the garlic and cook for 2 more min.Remove to a large bowl and allow to cool for 10 min.
Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl,reserving the 1/2 cup of bread crumbs.Fold the crab cake mixture gently,trying not to break up the lumps of crab meat too much.After the mixture is thoroughly combined,refrigerate for one hour.
Remove the crab cake mixture from the fridge.Spread the remaining 100 ml of bread crumbs on a cookie sheet.Form the crab mixture into balls slightly larger then golf balls,then flatten them out so that each cake resembles a small hockey puck.Dredge all sides in the bread crumbs.Can be reserve the crab cakes for cooking later,as they can be refrigerated for up to 24 hours.
Ther are 2 options for cooking the cakes.You can bake them in a 425 F oven for 12-15 min.flipping them after 8 min.or you can pan-fry or deep-fry the cakes in some 360 F oil until golden brown and crunchy,about 3 min.
Serve with Warm Mango Coulis and some sprigs of cilantro for garnish