Cantaloupe, Honeydew, Sweet Onion Gazpacho With Prosciutto
- 1/4 pound thinly-sliced proscuitto
- 1 cup roughly-chopped cantaloupe plus
- 3/4 cup finely-diced cantaloupe
- 1 cup roughly-chopped honeydew melon plus
- 3/4 cup finely-diced honeydew melon
- 1 cup roughly-chopped sweet onion plus
- 1 cup finely-diced sweet onion (such as Vidalia, Maui, or Walla Walla)
- 1/2 cup roughly-chopped celery plus
- 1/4 cup finely-diced celery
- 1/2 cup roughly-chopped red bell pepper plus
- 1/4 cup finely-diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup roughly-chopped peeled seeded cucumber plus
- 3/4 cup finely-diced peeled seeded cucumber
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 slices white bread crusts removed, and cubed
- 2 tablespoons minced jalapeños
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon finely-chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon finely-chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely-chopped mint
- 1 tablespoon finely-chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon finely-ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper and bake the prosciutto until crisp, about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
Combine the roughly-chopped ingredients (cantaloupe, honeydew, sweet onion, celery, red bell pepper, and cucumber), lemon juice, lime juice, and bread in the bowl of a food processor or blender. Puree on high until smooth.
Combine the finely-chopped ingredients, jalapeños, garlic, chives, parsley, mint, cilantro, and olive oil in a large bowl. Stir well to combine. Fold the pureed ingredients into the chopped ingredients. Add the salt and pepper and stir well to combine. Let rest at least 1 hour, covered and refrigerated, for the flavors to blend.
Serve chilled, garnished with crumbled crispy prosciutto.
This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.