Carrot and Zucchini Bars with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
Sort of like carrot cake, but with zucchini, and the cream cheese frosting we love so much is brightened up with lemon zest. So much loveliness!
- LEMON CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrot
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 (8-ounce) package reduced fat cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, brown sugar, oil, honey, and vanilla. Don’t worry about clumps of the brown sugar, those will dissolve as it sits while you prepare the remaining ingredients. Then fold in the carrot, zucchini, and walnuts.
In another bowl combine add the flour, baking powder, ginger, and baking soda. Whisk to blend together.
Add to flour mixture to the wet mixture. Stir just until combined. Spread batter into an un-greased 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
Bake about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
Once the cake is cooled prepare the frosting. In a medium mixing bowl, beat the frosting ingredients with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Spread or pipe the frosting over the cooled bars.
You'll also love
- Slow Cooked Short Ribs with... 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Chicken and Black Bean Enchilada... 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Gold Medal Flour's Best-Ever... 4.1/5 (32 Votes)
- HCG Diet (P3) Cheesy Green Beans... 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Cherry & Apricot Crostata with... 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Taco Tico Meat 4.3/5 (25 Votes)
- Easy Oven-Baked Zucchini Chips 4.3/5 (21 Votes)
- Best Lemonade Ever 4.5/5 (16 Votes)