Baked Oyster Dressing
Oyster stuffing is easy to make, and so delicious! The added freshly grated Parmesan cheese adds a perfect flavor to the stuffing! This will be your favorite recipe for family holidays.
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1 pint shucked oysters, and their liquor
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 1 cup chopped green bell peppers
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup finely-chopped parsley
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 4 cups French bread in 1" cubes (or homemade-style white bread)
- 1/3 cup freshly-grated Parmesan
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 90mins
Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter a 9- by 11-inch baking pan with the butter and set aside.
Drain the oysters, reserving the oyster liquor. Set aside.
Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions, bell peppers, celery, salt, and cayenne and saute for 5 minutes, or until soft. Add the bay leaves, garlic, and parsley, and saute for 1 minute. Add the water and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the green onions, oyster liquor, and the bread cubes. Stir to mix well, and remove from the heat.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the bread and vegetable mixture with the oysters and cheese. Stir with a wooden spoon to mix thoroughly. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking pan and bake for 1 hour, or until bubbly and golden brown. Remove the bay leaves before serving.
This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings (about 5 cups).
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (871 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (809 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Jalapeno Popper Spread 4.5/5 (672 Votes)
- Butternut Squash, Ricotta &... 4.5/5 (489 Votes)
- Famous Red Lobster Shrimp Scampi 4.5/5 (466 Votes)
- Snickerdoodle Bread 4.5/5 (448 Votes)
- Impossible Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes 4.5/5 (397 Votes)