HG's Nutty Banana Muffins
Serving Size: 1 medium-sized muffin (1/12th of recipe)
PointsPlus® value 4*
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 cup mashed very ripe banana (about 3 medium bananas)
- 1/2 cup no-sugar-added applesauce
- 1/2 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original)
- 1/3 cup granulated white sugar (or HG Alternative)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (not packed)
- 2 tbsp. light whipped butter or light buttery spread (like Brummel & Brown)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 oz. (about 1/4 cup) chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with foil baking cups, or spray it with nonstick spray.
In a large bowl, combine both types of flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.
In medium-large bowl, combine remaining ingredients except walnuts, and whisk until uniform. Add to the large bowl, and stir until just mixed and smooth. (Batter will be thick.)
Evenly distribute batter among the cups of the muffin pan, and smooth out the surfaces. Top with chopped walnuts.
Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, 18 - 20 minutes.