Pine Nut And Spinach Tart
- PIE CRUST:
- 1 1/2 cups flour plus
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick cold butter cut 1/2" pieces
- 2 tablespoons solid vegetable shortening
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- 1/2 cup pine nuts - (abt 3 oz)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 10 ounces fresh spinach stems removed, well rinsed, and chopped (or a 10-oz pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese or feta (abt 3 oz)
Into a large bowl sift the flour and salt. Add the butter pieces and shortening and work them into the flour by hand until the dough starts to come together and form small pea shapes. Work the ice water into the dough 1 tablespoon at a time with your fingers until it just comes together, being careful not to over mix.
Form the crust into a disk shape, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and place in the refrigerator to rest for at least 30 minutes before rolling out.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Remove the prepared pie dough from the refrigerator and roll into an 11-inch circle. Transfer to a tart pan with a removable bottom and press the dough up to the top of the sides, trimming any excess. Cover the tart crust with a sheet of parchment paper and place a layer of uncooked beans in the bottom. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes, then remove the parchment and beans and cook for an additional 10 minutes until the crust has colored lightly. Remove the crust from the oven and let cool.
On sheet pan toast pine nuts in the middle of the oven until just golden, 3 to 5 minutes, and cool. In a large heavy skillet heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook for 3 minutes. Add the spinach, salt, and pepper and cook until the liquid is evaporated, 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool.
In a large bowl whisk the eggs and cream. Stir in the spinach, 1/4 cup of the pine nuts and cheese and mix well. Pour into the prepared pie crust and sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of pine nuts over the top.
Bake in the oven until golden and the center is set, about 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for 15 minutes before serving.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (891 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.4/5 (905 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (742 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (499 Votes)
- Spinach Lasagna Roll-Ups 4.6/5 (148 Votes)
- Secretly Healthy Spinach Dip aka... 4.5/5 (137 Votes)
- Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breasts 4.6/5 (128 Votes)