Roasted Red Pepper and Italian Sausage Pasta
- For Roasting your own Red Peppers:
- 3 large red peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- For the Roasted Red Pepper and Italian Sausage Pasta:
- 1 pound pasta, I used penne
- 1 pound ground sausage, cooked
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 large sweet onion, diced
- 2 large shallots, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Roasted Red Peppers, prepared in advance, chopped
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (more or less if desired)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup parmesan or mozzarella shavings
- For the Garnish:
- Fresh or Dried Parsley
- Fresh or Dried Sweet Basil
Adapted from cravingsofalunatic.com
For Roasting your own Red Peppers:
◾Preheat your oven to about 450 degrees F.
◾Line a rimmed cookie sheet with parchment paper.
◾Pop the peppers on top of the cookie sheet. Place in the oven.
◾Cook for about 15 to 20 minutes, it should start to char the outside of the peppers.
◾Take tongs and flip the peppers over, cook for another 10 to 15 minutes. You want the outside to be charred and the peppers to be soft but still workable. Not mushy.
◾Remove from the oven and transfer the peppers to a ziploc bag. Seal it up and allow them to cool for about 30 minutes or so.
◾Take the peppers out and peel off the charred skin.
◾Pull the tops off, then half the peppers with a knife and scrape away all the seeds.
◾Chop the peppers roughly.
◾Pop them in a jar and add the olive oil. Set aside till needed. If you do extra those can be stored in the fridge in a container or jar.
For the Roasted Red Pepper and Italian Sausage Pasta:
◾Cook your pasta choice in boiling, salted water according to the package minus one minute.
◾Now a cast iron skillet cook up your sausage until it's browned lightly. Set aside.
◾In a large skillet add 2 tablespoons of butter. Cook over medium high heat. Add the onions and shallots and saute for about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and the roasted red peppers and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes more.
◾Remove the skillet from the heat, carefully transfer the ingredients to a food processor. Pulse until mixed but slightly chunky. Be sure the lid was on. Seriously people, common sense prevails here.
◾Heat the remaining butter (2 tablespoons) in the same skillet over medium high heat, then transfer the ingredients from the food processor back into the pan. Add the cooked ground sausage, broth, salt and pepper and cook until it all starts to bubble and come together while you stir.
◾Add the heavy cream in, more or less depending on your taste.
◾Stir until the cream combines and feel free to add any more spices that you love.
◾Drain pasta, (reserving about 1/2 cup of pasta water), and pour that cooked pasta into your skillet. Continue to cook until everything combines and become one big happy melting pot of joy. To help it combine a little better, add a little pasta water. Start with about 1/4 cup and cook while it melds the ingredients together. You can add more if needed.
◾Toss the dried sweet basil over top and it's pasta party time.
◾Serve with a big old spicy sausage and red pepper smile!
You'll also love
- Sweet Potato Pancakes With Honey... 4.7/5 (18 Votes)
- Grilled Eggplant with Yoghurt Sauce 4.7/5 (18 Votes)
- Healthy Homemade Chicken Noodle... 4.7/5 (18 Votes)
- Pork Chop and Stuffing Bake 4.7/5 (18 Votes)
- Sausage & Potato Bake 4.7/5 (9 Votes)
- One Pot Cajun Shrimp & Sausage... 4.9/5 (8 Votes)
- Italian Sausage and Orzo Skillet 4.7/5 (23 Votes)
- VELVEETA Italian Sausage Bake 4.7/5 (21 Votes)