Oyster Rockefeller Soup With Crispy Gruyere Croutons
- CRISPY GRUYERE CROUTONS:
- 4 slices bacon cut small dice
- 1 small yellow onion cut small dice
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 pint oysters and their liquor 4 cups heavy cream
- 1 pound fresh spinach well washed, and stems removed
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly-ground white pepper
- 1/2 cup licorice flavored liqueur, such as
- Herbsaint, Pernod, or Ouzo
- 16 slices French bread, 1/4" thk
- 1 large garlic clove peeled, smashed
- 1/2 cup grated Gruyere
In a large heavy stockpot, cook the bacon over medium-high heat until brown, about 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes, then the garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the oysters, the oyster liquor and cream and bring the mixture to a boil. Remove the pot from the heat.
Using an immersion blender, or in batches in a blender, puree the ingredients, adding the spinach in batches as you puree. Season with the salt and white pepper, and stir in the liqueur.
Serve immediately with Crispy Gruyere Croutons.
For Crispy Gruyere Croutons: Place the sliced bread in 1 layer on a large baking sheet and bake until just lightly brown on both sides, turning once, about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
Remove the bread from the oven and rub the garlic over 1 side of each slice. Top each slice with cheese and roast until the cheese is bubbly, about 4 minutes. Serve 2 croutons with each serving of Oyster Rockefeller Soup.
This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.