- 3/4 pound pepperoni halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion sliced
- 1/2 pound assorted mushrooms sliced (portobello, shiitake and button)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup torn basil
- 3 cups spinach chiffonade
- 2 cups veal demi-glace
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound fresh fettucine cooked al dente
Place pepperoni on a hot grill, cut-side down. Grill for 3 minutes per side. Remove from the grill and slice into 1/4-inch thick slices.
In a large saute pan, heat the oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions and saute for 6 minutes. Add the mushrooms and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the grilled pepperoni, garlic, basil and spinach. Saute for 3 minutes or until spinach has begun to wilt. Add the veal demi-glace and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Add the heavy cream and bring back up to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the Parmesan cheese and mix well. Add the pasta and toss well. Season with salt and pepper.
This recipe yields 4 to 5 servings.