Egglant, Tomato And Feta Cheese Napoleons
- PESTO OIL:
- 1 pound eggplant cut crosswise
- into 1/4"-thk slices to equal 12 slices
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 cup crumbled feta or goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons chiffonade fresh basil leaves
- 3 large tomatoes stems removed, cut
- into 1/3"-thk slices to equal 12 slices
- 2 garliccloves minced
- 2 cups basil leaves - (loosely packed)
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
Toss the eggplant with 4 tablespoons of the olive oil, Balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper to coat. Place on a baking sheet in 1 layer and bake for 15 minutes, turning once. Cool on the sheet pan.
In a small bowl combine the cheese, basil, and remaining tablespoon olive oil.
Place 1 eggplant slice on a salad plate. Top with 1 tablespoon of the cheese, then 1 slice of tomato. Drizzle 1 teaspoon of Pesto Oil over the tomato, then another tablespoon of cheese. Top with another eggplant slice, and continue assembling, with 3 eggplant slices per napoleon, and ending with a cheese layer on top drizzled with pesto oil. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Serve at room temperature.
For Pesto Oil: In the bowl of a food processor or blender place the garlic and basil and process on high while adding the olive oil in a steady stream. Continue to process until well-blended, season with salt to taste. (Makes 1 1/2 cups)
This recipe yields 4 servings.