Tomato Chili Sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 5 cups diced peeled seeded vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1/2 small jalapeño stemmed, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly-ground cloves
- 2 cups white vinegar
In a medium nonreactive saucepan, over medium heat, add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté for 1 minute. Add the jalapeño, remaining spices and vinegar. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 1 hour. Remove from the heat and cool completely.
Pour the mixture into a sterilized 1 quart canning jar. Process the jar according to basic canning procedures. Can be used the next day or will keep for up to 1 month under refrigeration.
This recipe yields 1 quart.