Baked Onion Rings
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk--use powdered
- Just whites powdered egg whites equiv to 1 egg
- Panko breadcrumbs plus Saltine or Club cracker meal or Fish Fry
- 1 medium yellow sweet onion sliced 1/4-to-1/2-inch thick or small work well too. Smaller rings leave 2 or 3 together.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Place parchment paper onto baking sheet and set aside.
In a small bowl, combine the flour, paprika and 1 teaspoon salt.Combine powdered egg white and pow. buttermilk along with their required water together in processor. Add scant half of the flour mixture to the buttermilk and process until smooth and thickened.
Have seasoned Panko/Fish Fry or cracker meal ready in a bowl.
Lightly dredge the onion rings in the flour mixture and then drop into the buttermilk. Drain the excess batter well and then put on foil and sprinkle/press crumb mixture both side.
Arrange on the prepared baking sheets in a single layer. You can place smaller rings inside bigger rings if necessary, just make sure there is space between them.Can spray with olive oil if desired but not necessary. Then place in the oven. Cook until golden brown, 14 to 16 minutes. Good with chipotle catsup.