Dr. Fuhrman Black Forest Cream of Mushroom Soup, original recipe
- 1/2 cup dried mixed mushrooms (optional)
- 2 pounds mixed fresh mushrooms (button, shiitake, cremini), sliced 1/4" thick
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 teaspoons herb de Provence
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 3 cups cauliflower florets, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup chopped organic celery
- 3 leeks, cut into 1/2 inch rounds
- 4 tablespoons Dr. Fuhrman's VegiZest, or other no salt seasoning
- 5 cups carrot juice
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 cans white beans, northern, navy, or cannellini (no salt)
- 1 5-oz bag organic baby spinach
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
If using dried mushrooms, soak them in hot water to cover for 30 minutes and cut in pieces.
Heat 1/8 cup water in large saute pan. Water sauté the fresh and dried mushrooms, garlic and dried herbs until tender and fragrant. Set aside.
In large soup pot, bring carrot juice, water, carrots, cauliflower, celery, leeks and VegiZest to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
Puree 1/2 vegetable soup in high powered blender, adding cashews, lemon juice, and fresh herbs. Blend until smooth and creamy.
Add pureed soup back to soup pot along with mushrooms, beans, and spinach. Heat until spinach is wilted.
Serve garnished with fresh chopped parsley.