Moosewood Black Bean-Sweet Potato Burritos
- 6 cups peeled cubed sweet potatoes (I used about 2 large ones)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp canola or other vegetable oil
- 2 cups cups diced onions
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1 hot pepper, minced
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 3 cups cooked black beans (two 15 oz cans)
- 1/2 cup lightly packed cilantro leaves
- 1 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 eight/ten-inch flour tortillas
- Fresh tomato salsa or jarred
- Cheese -
- Avocado - to serve with burritos
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
cook sweet potato how ever you usually cook them
While the sweet potatoes are cooking, warm the oil in a medium skillet or saucepan and add the onions, garlic, and chiles. Cover and cook on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions are tender, about 7 minutes. Add the cumin and coriander and cook for 2 to 3 minutes longer, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat and set aside.
combine the black beans, cilantro, lemon juice, salt, and cooked sweet potatoes and mix until combined and chunky
Transfer the sweet potato mixture to a large mixing bowl and mix in the cooked onions and spices.
Lightly oil a large baking dish. Spoon about 2/3 to 3/4 cup of the filling in the center of each tortilla, sprinkle some cheese on top, roll it up, and place it, seam side down, in the baking dish. Sprinkle more cheese on top of the burritos.
Cover tightly with foil and bake for about 30 minutes, until piping hot. Serve topped with slices of avocado and salsa.