Portuguese Chicken, Lemon And Mint Soup
- 1 chicken cut into pieces
- 1 celery stalk coarsely chopped
- 1 onion coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 4 parsley sprigs
- 2 pieces lemon zest
- 4 mint sprigs
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper or to taste
- 3 quarts water or chicken stock
- 1/4 cup raw rice
- 1/2 lemon juiced - (2 tbspns)
- 1/4 cup chopped mint
- Salt to taste
- Cayenne pepper to taste
In a large saucepan or medium stockpot combine chicken, celery, onion, garlic, parsley, lemon zest, mint sprigs, crushed red pepper, and water. Bring to a boil, skim, reduce heat, and continue to simmer for 45 minutes, or until chicken is tender.
Strain stock through a fine sieve. Transfer chicken to a plate to cool and discard remaining vegetables. Return stock to saucepan, and continue to reduce until broth is flavorful. Add rice to stock and continue to cook until rice is tender.
When chicken is cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones and tear into bite-sized pieces. Add to broth and rice and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Add lemon juice, mint and salt and pepper, to taste and let cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
Serve immediately, garnished with lemon slices and sprigs of mint if desired.
This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (891 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.4/5 (905 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (742 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (499 Votes)
- Apple Brie Tarts 4.5/5 (311 Votes)
- Samoa Brownies 4.5/5 (289 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Orange Chicken 4.5/5 (231 Votes)
- Cilantro Lime Salad Dressing 4.5/5 (164 Votes)