Great basic cheese fondue recipe that is quick and easy to make, but feels so special! Perfect for a small party. Maybe serve a chocolate fondue for dessert!
- 1/2 pound Swiss-style cheese such as Jarlsberg or Emmenthaler, shredded
- 1/2 pound Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons flour, or cornstarch
- 1 garlic clove, halved crosswise
- 1 cup dry white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Kirsch (cherry brandy)
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Assorted dipping foods such as cubed day-old French bread (skip for gluten-free version), cubed ham (skip for vegetarian option), blanched broccoli, carrots, or cauliflower, cherry tomatoes, chopped green bell peppers, peeled and chopped apples or pears
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 30mins
Place the shredded cheese and cornstarch in a plastic freezer bag. Seal, shake to coat the cheese with flour or cornstarch. Set aside.
Rub the inside of a 4-quart pot with the cut garlic, then discard. Add the wine and lemon juice to the pot, and bring to a low simmer on medium heat. Bit by bit, slowly stir the cheese into the wine. Stir constantly in a zig-zag pattern to prevent the cheese from seizing and balling up. Cook just until the cheese is melted and creamy. Do not let boil. Once the mixture is smooth, stir in kirsch, mustard and nutmeg.
Transfer the cheese to a fondue serving pot, set over a low flame to keep warm. If your pot is thin-bottomed, a lit candle will probably do. If thick-bottomed, you can use a small Sterno.
Arrange various dipping foods around the fondue pot. (A lazy Suzan works great for this.)
To eat, spear dipping foods with fondue forks or small forks. Dip to coat with the cheese, and eat.
You'll also love
- Luscious Lemon Delight 4.4/5 (20 Votes)
- Lemon Drop Jello Shots 4.1/5 (25 Votes)
- Bavarian Rohrnudeln (Sweet Dough... 4.4/5 (18 Votes)
- Cornbread Dressing 4.4/5 (19 Votes)
- Mango Salsa 4.4/5 (19 Votes)
- Fat Head Pizza 4.4/5 (20 Votes)
- Healthy Fire-Seared Antipasto... 4.4/5 (19 Votes)
- Slow-Cooker BBQ Meatballs Recipe 4.4/5 (19 Votes)