Skirt Steak Fajitas
- 1/3 c. soy sauce
- 1/3 c. fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1/3 c. canola oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 T. brown sugar
- 1 t. cumin
- 1 t. chile powder
- 2 about 2 lb. skirt steak
- 2-3 bell peppers, ends trimmed, cored and seeded, cut into a couple large pieces
- 1 large white onion, peeled and cut into 1/2-3/4-inch slices (keep the slices intact)
- 18 6-inch flour tortillas
- lime wedges
- toppings of your choice such as, cilantro, salsa, cheese, sour cream & avocados or guacamole
Adapted from applesandsparkle.com
1. Get the marinade prepared: Whisk together the marinade ingredients in a small bowl. Reserve about 1/3 cup of marinade for the vegetables. Place the steak in a gallon-sized ziplock bag. Add the remaining marinade. Seal the bag, pressing out any excess air, massage the marinade into the meat a bit. Refrigerate anywhere from 3-10 hours.
2. After meat has finished marinating, remove steak from marinade and wipe off excess marinade with paper towel. (I also cut the steak into a couple of more manageable sized pieces, for easier turning on the grill). brush the vegetables with reserved marinade. Heat your grill to high. Scrape the grill grate clean and oil the grate. Add the steak to the super hot grill and grill, covered about 2 1/2 minutes per side (for medium/medium-rare), or until steak reaches desired doneness. Remove steak to a clean plate and cover with foil & let rest for 10-15 minutes.
3. Add the peppers and onions to the grill and grill, turning occasionally until cooked, peppers should take about 5 minutes and onions will take about 10. Remove from grill. Briefly add the tortillas to the grill, a couple at a time and grill until warmed and lightly charred around the edges. Wrap the tortillas in foil to keep warm.
4. Thinly slice the steak, against the grain. Slice the onions in half and separate the rings. Slice the peppers. Serve with the tortillas, lime wedges and toppings of your choice.