Tuscan White Bean and Roasted Garlic Soup (Crock Pot Recipe)
Servings: 7 • Size: little over 1 cup • Old Points: 4 pts • Points+: 6 pts
Calories: 241 • Fat: 3 g • Carb: 41 g • Fiber: 6 g • Protein: 15 g • Sugar: 0 g
Sodium: 322 mg (without added salt)
- 1 lb dry Cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1 head garlic, peeled
- 8 cups water
- 4 sage leaves, plus more for garnish
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp chicken "Better Than Bouillon", or cube (vegs us vegetable bouillon)
- kosher salt and white pepper to taste
Place beans, 3 cloves of the garlic, water and a few sage leaves in the crock pot; cover and set to HIGH 4 hours, or until beans are soft. Don't add salt.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400°. Place remaining garlic cloves in the center of a 7x7 inch square of aluminum foil.
Cover garlic with olive oil and a little salt. Seal aluminum tightly and place in the oven 25-30 minutes, until garlic is soft and golden. Remove from oven and set aside until the beans are done.
When the beans are soft, add the bouillon and mix well until dissolved, then carefully some of the beans and liquid along with the roasted garlic to the blender. Blend until smooth and pour it back into the crock pot. Repeat with the remaining beans until you get the texture you desire. You can also use an immersion blender if you have one. Taste for salt and adjust as needed.
Serve with fresh sage and white pepper on top and if you wish, some whole roasted garlic cloves on top. (I reserved a few)
Makes about 7 3/4 cups.
**Dried beans contain a toxin called phytohaemagglutinin which is usually destroyed if boiled in water for 10 minutes. The slow cooker will not kill off this toxin unless they have been preliminarily boiled. Cannellini (white kidney beans) contain some of the highest levels of this toxin.
You'll also love
- Roasted Garlic Soup with Asiago... 4.6/5 (14 Votes)
- HCG Diet (P3) Low Carb Sugar Free... 4.4/5 (24 Votes)
- Salted Honey & Lemon Chess Pie 4.1/5 (37 Votes)
- Kale and Mushroom Stroganoff 4.3/5 (27 Votes)
- Spicy Honey Garlic Chicken in the... 4.2/5 (29 Votes)
- Dill & Sea Salt Roasted Chickpeas 4.3/5 (25 Votes)
- Antipasto Salad 4.5/5 (10 Votes)
- Honey Garlic Chicken Skillet 4.5/5 (10 Votes)