Turkey Chopped Salad
- 1/2 pound raw bacon chopped
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard - (to 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey - (to 2 tbspns)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pound roasted turkey meat diced
- 4 ounces Maytag blue cheese or other domestic cheese crumbled
- 4 large hard-boiled eggs thinly sliced
- 4 Roma tomatoes cored, seeded, and diced
- 1 medium avocado peeled, diced
- 1 head iceberg lettuce cleaned, cored, and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 cup flour
- 1 large red onion cut thin rings
- 1 tablespoon finely-chopped fresh parsley leaves
Preheat the fryer.
In a sauté pan, over medium heat, cook the bacon until crispy, about 6 to 8 minutes. Remove the bacon and drain on paper towels. Whisk the mustard, vinegar, and honey, all to taste, into the bacon fat. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the turkey, cheese, eggs, crispy bacon, tomatoes, avocados, lettuce, and green onions. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
Season the flour with salt and pepper. Dredge the red onion rings in the seasoned flour, coating completely and shaking off the excess. Fry the onion rings until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels. Season with salt.
Toss the lettuce with the dressing. Season with salt and pepper. To serve, mound a quarter of the salad in the center of each serving plate. Pile the onions on top of each salad. Garnish with parsley.
This recipe yields 4 servings.